Friday, October 2, 2009

The Power of a Page View

Since I've begun blogging and writing online, I've realized the power we all hold as consumers of entertainment. I check my page views almost daily, and I love the idea that there are people who look forward to reading content I've created. It's a completely different feeling than writing a class paper, or even writing for a school publication, because it is more my own (while reaching a wider audience), and I can keep track of the results.

This has translated into my attitude towards others' content as well. When I read my favorite blogs, I feel a sense of pride almost in knowing that I'm part of numbers I know matter. I leave comments more often because everyone deserves feedback. It's important that the community of writers engage and encourage each other because we understand the importance of every page view.

This also applies to other media. When I watch a television show, I feel the responsibility of being a viewer. This past spring, a show which I love, Dollhouse, was near cancellation. The chances of seeing a second season were reportedly slim. I sent e-mails, I called the network, and I made sure to watch the episodes on sites like Hulu that send their viewing numbers to the networks. Eventually the news came out, and it was good. The second season started last Friday. The ratings are still low, but I'm intent on making sure my view is always there (even though my lack of a Nielson box means they have no idea when I watch live on television). If anyone's interested in making this easier, catch up with the first season and start watching. I can't guarantee there will be a third season, but I do know that what we've seen so far is worth every minute.

When I find something I like, I feel loyal. The same goes for artists and writers and show creators. I'm a very involved consumer. Being a part of an audience, I feel like I'm giving something to the creators, but I also feel that the product is partly my own. What is a book or a blog without readers?

It's important that when we consume culture, we take pride in it. Because it isn't just a frivolous exploit, it isn't a waste of time. It's human nature, and it's something we need. When you read a blog, it leaves you with something (hopefully). But it also gives something to the author. Each page view is an affirmation. It's a beautiful relationship between producers and consumers, and I'm happy to know both roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment